The origins of the Byzantine mosaic bring us back to the times of Byzantium and the Eastern Roman Empire but the first pieces have been discovered thanks to the Vatican State.
Reverenda Fabbrica di San Pietro was founded and it allowed mosaic art to have its own identity and to develop, independent of the painting.
Towards the end of ‘700, a few craftsmen left the Reverenda Fabbrica Vatican and brought the art of Mosaic Minute in Florence where it found a welcoming public and was allowed to expand.
Small workshops of mosaic craftsmen passed down the art from one generation to another and from the second half of the 800, we have the first evidence of the activity of an artisan company that in the future will be known as “Filippini & Paoletti”.
The Filippini & Paoletti is now in its fourth generation. Filippini Alfonso, skillful goldsmith, and Paoletti Vittorio, a student of mosaic artists, decided to open a laboratory located in an old wine cellar in the historic center, to produce small mosaic objects destined to the Lords of Florence and to the wealthiest tourist customers.
Their sons, Filippini Ilario and Paoletti Giovanni followed their footsteps together with their grandsons and in 1947, moved the laboratory to its current place: Piazza Santo Spirito.
Immediately after the war, began the first exports and from 1970 Fei Ascanio, grandson of the Filippini’s, and Paoletti Paolo with their sons, are the owners of the firm and they are the main producers of the Byzantine Mosaic.